Monday, September 13, 2004

right now, as i type the C drive of my laptop is being deleted: scraped, washed, and polished. That includes all of the unhandwritten writing (save this blog) that I have spewed in the last two years. It's all go(ing)ne, the poems, the short stories I haven't finished (and apparently never will) the papers I burnt my tongue with burnt coffee for at 2am, the dark, dying, diary of a selfish, mislead, and underinformed college freshmen (by the way, i'm still selfish, mislead, and underinformed, but at least now I have rebellious long hair), oh, and my entire mp3 collection, including the dozens of jazz and blues albums i ripped from grandpa while he showed me 80 year old pictures of relatives that reminded him of me (my favorite was of four brothers sitting on newly poured concrete stairs with a cast iron railing leading up to the small concrete front porch of the house in Detroit one of them just bought with the money he made bolting motors to motormounts at his new job at the plant, these four brothers, grampa said, liked to drink and smoke and chew (uncle Harlow would always bitch when they came to visit because their discarded wads of tobacco cud looked like dogshit lying around his yard.) completely unbeknownst to their straight laced Methodist parents. And once when they were younger playing poker and unexpectedly heard their parents buggy crunch along behind the clods of their horse into the driveway the four brothers quickly gathered their only deck of cards, and "in a hard-cider induced stroke of pure dumbass" they hid them in the burning wood stove)







so, it's all gone, even the Microsoft Paint Brontosaurus that hovered on rocket feet charring it's enemies, but with my laptop unfried, at least my posting should return to it's normal "at school" frequency

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

funny, I had forgotten that story of yr grandfathers and now I cant remember if it was inspired dumbness, dumbassness, dumbassery, or just dumbass.

call me some evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home