Friday, March 25, 2005

Where, oh, where have all the metaphors gone?

Mary pointed out to me the other day that I must not be fond of metaphors. This got me to thinking.

I think it was all that Joyce on an impressionable mind that did it. Someone says alabaster ears and I think of cities on the side of a head.

I also think that i hid behind the idea that metaphors limit meaning more than they expand it. But then, so do all adjectives...kinda.

Maybe I just don't know what a metaphor is.

Its just that speaking without metaphors is a landscape of one-armed windmills, a day without Vitamin C, a thick salivating accent without language, a pipe organ with kidney stones, a marathon in moon boots, an oatmeal pie. Mmmmmmmm...oatmeal pie.

2 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Will said...

Boy, you must have sucked at hide and seek if this is an example of your hiding from metaphor.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Daniel Silliman said...

A pipe organ with kidney stones!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home