Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Ranch (dressing), Text (messages), and (Net)flix it

Language, like spelling, is slipping.

I made a new years resolution to never refer to ranch dressing as just plain "ranch," or a text message as a "text." My reasons were at least two-fold.

1. "Ranch" as in "Uuh, could I get a thing of ranch," sounds/is disgusting, and saying "text" just makes anyone sound like a tool e.g.
"Dude U git my txt?"
"tits"
"wanna go to mall"
"can't gotta cruz round wearin ugly snglsses"

and

2. well, I can't remember two after coming up with those sweet examples.


But anyway, my resolution has been coming along pretty well, very few slip-ups and then the other day I was sitting on the porch and told Mary that,

"We should netflix it."
"ok, but you know we don't have a subscr--"
"Ya know what I think from now on I'm gonna say "flix it" rather than "netflix it."
"Eww, that's like 'floggi-- (lifelogging)"
"No it's not, its nothing like "flogging."
"How is it any different from "ranch" or "text" th--?"
"oh, shit"

And there you have it. Worse (Better?) than selling out I one upped 'em.

(speaking of spelling, will spell check and word recognition software make spelling accuracy and the evolution of spelling better or worse, and I am not talking about in peoples heads, I am talking about on/in the published (web)page.?)





Tune in next time for: Why I have no problem handing our "culture" over to amateurs on the internet... and, oh shit, what about geography?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop being a blog-cock-tease and post something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home