Friday, March 07, 2003

A Personalized Blog?

In English class today, while we were discussing Wordsworth and Coleridge, I realized that my meditations are always very personalized. For example, I enjoyed that movie last night so much because it did not concentrate on the question: "Who was right?" Instead it concentrated on the individuals involved, either by their will or not. In history class today, I realized that I don't really care about "Who was right." Instead I care about who. When I meet someone, I don’t try to find out what they believe, or who they voted for, or what they think about such and such an issue, instead I try to find out who they are. Sorry I can’t explain it any better right now.

And now I am wondering how I am supposed to be expressing myself, revealing myself, or explaining myself, on this blog. How am I supposed to be conversing if I have no one to converse with?

Sure a blog can have a personality, a distinctive look or feel that reflects the author, but what if I am chopping down a tree in cyberspace and no one is there to hear it fall, or no one is listening, did I really chop it down?

I have written regularly in journals for years, but I was always writing to someone in them, whether it was my imagined grandson half a century later or God, I always wrote to someone. Maybe the problem is that the only time I converse only to myself I am not speaking in a language that I can express in words, so when I speak or write, I can't direct it to myself, because my self can't comprehend it.

Anyway, I’ll try to get a comments section working, and then I will find out if anyone is listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home